Kildclient 3.0 - Windows - Bugs!

KildClient forum.
arrpirate

Kildclient 3.0 - Windows - Bugs!

Post by arrpirate »

I am using Kildclient 3.0 in Windows 7 and I find two bugs, one far more major than the other.

First, the minor bug. When I right click on the window, say in the text input box or the text output box, the right click menu appears at the edge of my screen, nowhere near the Kildclient window, nowhere near my mouse.

Second, the major bug. Huge problem. Makes the client almost unusable. If I sit for long enough, the output window seems to 'eat' some lines. For example, say there are 10 lines. It might, after a while, show lines 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10. It is not showing lines 5 and 6. If, however, I click the text output window, it appears.

Bug Example:

Line 1
Line 2
Line 5
Line 6

After Clicking Output Box example:

Line 1
Line 2
Line 3
Line 4
Line 5
Line 6

It only seems to happen if I've not actively used the window in a while. The time seems random. Could be less than a minute, could be ten or twenty minutes. It doesn't happen if I've been actively chatting using the window.

I can provide screenshots if needed.
ekalin
Site Admin

Re: Kildclient 3.0 - Windows - Bugs!

Post by ekalin »

Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce either of the bugs. It's unlikely that they are KildClient bugs, though. Seems more likely to be a bug in the libraries used by KildClient, the graphics driver, or the interaction between them.

Does this happen every time, or is something random?
arrpirate

Post by arrpirate »

It happens during every session if the session lasts long enough, but when precisely it happens is random. It's lasted me through two windows reinstalls on my desktop computer and the same thing also occurs on my laptop. It did not happen in the previous Kildclient version.
arrpirate

Post by arrpirate »

Edit 2: I originally posted the following, but it turns out to only be partially true, see the bottom of the post for more info.
Ok. I found the cause of the second problem. I use DisplayFusion to manage my multiple windows. I disable it, and the hiding text problem goes away. This is the only software I'm having problems with in conjunction with DisplayFusion.
Also, the first bug I described, the right click menu being placed weirdly? That's still happening even without DisplayFusion.

Edit: I actually found a bug similar to the first one, with DisplayFusion disabled. if I switch tabs within the client, after one of the tabs has had activity in it, it does the line-hiding thing until I click. Seems to only happen when I alt-tab vs. clicking the tab. It's almost like some of the window isn't updating without clicks being detected.

Edit 2: I thought it was fixed with disabling DisplayFusion, but I was wrong. It just seems to happen less often. A lot less often.
arrpirate

Post by arrpirate »

I am able to reliably recreate the problem I described with the lines getting eaten. I found a workaround. What happens is if you leave your client on for long enough, in windows (both Windows 7 and 10) that the number of lines exceeds the line buffer limit set in settings, when incoming lines happen, randomly old lines get hidden. If you interact with the window at all when that happens, clicking on it or typing or anything, the disappeared lines come back. I can't forced the bug to happen, but it happens readily enough in a busy enough MU* if you're over the buffer limit.

So, the workaround, really, is just to set the buffer really high, like 10,000 lines, then just restart the client when it gets close to the buffer.
JonahHul

Post by JonahHul »

arrpirate wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:14 pm I am able to reliably recreate the problem I described with the lines getting eaten. I found a workaround. What happens is if you leave your client on for long enough, in windows (both Windows 7 and 10) that the number of lines exceeds the line buffer limit set in settings, when incoming lines happen, randomly old lines get hidden. If you interact with the window at all when that happens, clicking on it or typing or anything, the disappeared lines come back. I can't forced the bug to happen, but it happens readily enough in a busy enough MU* if you're over the buffer limit.

So, the workaround, really, is just to set the buffer really high, like 10,000 lines, then just restart the client when it gets close to the buffer.
Great workaround, Arrpirate. But is there a solution that doesn't require restarting the client?
savimakwo

Post by savimakwo »

It was not meant to be as the reason behind was is to make those happens