Disable Perl?

KildClient forum.
DavidR

Disable Perl?

Post by DavidR »

I love the client overall, but it is becoming unusable to me due to Perl's domination of the / character.

I'm a coder. I need / for directories, search, etc. I don't need or want client-side triggers run by Perl (which are in fact illegal on my mud anyway).

Is there a way to disable Perl entirely, or at the least change its command to ~ or something similarly uncommon?
ekalin
Site Admin

Re: Disable Perl?

Post by ekalin »

DavidR wrote:I love the client overall, but it is becoming unusable to me due to Perl's domination of the / character.

I'm a coder. I need / for directories, search, etc. I don't need or want client-side triggers run by Perl (which are in fact illegal on my mud anyway).

Is there a way to disable Perl entirely, or at the least change its command to ~ or something similarly uncommon?
No, at the moment this is not possible. Perhaps I'll add the option to change the activation character.
DavidR

Post by DavidR »

Can I assist with a local edit/test?
ekalin
Site Admin

Post by ekalin »

I started to implement this, and it was actually very simple to allow changing the perl command marker.

However, there is a problem with this, which might be the reason I had never implemented that: plugins (even the ones included in the KildClient distribution) assume that '/' is used to execute a perl command, and they would stop working if the user changes that character.

Naturally, if the user doesn't use plugins (or changes them), this is not a problem, but I'm a little reluctant to add the option to change the perl marker as it might unexpectedly break user-defined code. I can't think of an easy solution to that problem, but I'd be happy to hear what other people think.
Shambaugh

Post by Shambaugh »

I really need to be able to disable perl.
DavidR

Post by DavidR »

Could you just flag that changing the marker will disable/invalidate all plugins?
ekalin
Site Admin

Post by ekalin »

I've added (commit 170d887) the possibility of changing the character used to run Perl commands, so you can select a character that you don't normally use.

It's in the "Advanced" section because of the possibility of breaking existing code as described in the previous messages.
sofiabovino

Post by sofiabovino »

Is there a way to disable Perl entirely, or at the least change
semidec

Post by semidec »

Good that I found this. Client-side commands didn't work. With this thread I found the character box and it was empty. I don't know why. Anyway, I entered slash there and now the commands work again.