Sub Second Timers

KildClient forum.
rumex

Sub Second Timers

Post by rumex »

Each MUD sysop seems to have a different opinion on allowed/fair use of triggers. I'm developing a system which has a more human appearance to anyone monitoring my input. The odd pause here and there and time to enter each line. My current weakness is my pauses are always multiples of seconds. I hoping that these will be put down to network latency issue by any monitoring sysop, however a really suspicious sysop is going to put 2 and 2 together. Has anyone had any luck implementing these?
ekalin
Site Admin

Re: Sub Second Timers

Post by ekalin »

Leaving the ethics issue asside, there isn't any technical reason why timers couldn't be specified in smaller units of time. The internal function used to implement timers supports smaller intervals.

However, even if this is easy, I'm not sure it would be really useful. Nobody has asked for that before.
rumex

Post by rumex »

Thanks, I've looked further into what I actually need and realise that this isn't really needed. Internet delays give me the jitter I was looking for as it is.
jmud

Post by jmud »

Sub-second timers are definitely on my wish list.

I have written a Kildclient plugin* with a BASIC-like scripting language, for people who don't want to learn Perl. It's very clever and marvellous, but it runs very slowly because Kildclient's timers only activate once a second.

Ideally, I would like a timer which would activate every 0.1 seconds (or some multiple of it).

(*Source code available as soon as I've finished the GUI.)
jmud

Post by jmud »

Another good reason for sub-second timers is this KildClient automapper I'm working on would run a lot smoother with them...!

ekalin
Site Admin

Post by ekalin »

Well, maybe I'll reconsider the possibility of sub seconds timers, then.

An automapper would be a very nice addition. I have thought about it many times, but never got close to even starting it.
ekalin
Site Admin

Post by ekalin »

Due to popular demand, I've enabled this feature. It'll be in the next version. Or, for those who cannot wait, just grab the git version and compile yourselves. :)