Windows + ActivePerl = Fail

KildClient forum.
pascat

Windows + ActivePerl = Fail

Post by pascat »

I don't know what I've done wrong. I downloaded ActivePerl 5.14 x86, installed it, and then Kildclient 12.11.1b... and there's something odd going on.

The program works. The GTK Interface loading and my being able to connect, but the second I use anything making use of Perl (Hooks, Aliases, whatnot) the program freezes and crashes, so my best bet is: Its not finding the ActivePerl DLLs and crashing. Any one would know how I can look deeper into that crash, see what happens, or knows how to fix it?

Thank you very much! I adore this program and I would love to be able to use it between Linux and Windows with the Database syncing over Dropbox! How awesome would that be, eh? :)
ekalin
Site Admin

Re: Windows + ActivePerl = Fail

Post by ekalin »

If Windows cannot find the DLL, the program simply wouldn't open.

It could be a problem with the version. Which exact version of ActivePerl are you using?
pascat

Post by pascat »

I found what the problem was...but then it kills one of the features I was trying to attain with it.

I was hoping to link the database between the Windows and Linux version, but it would seem that Windows ActivePerl has problems with scripts written in the UNIX file format. When I wiped out the database and started over on the Windows Machine, it would then work flawlessly

I don't know if I'm the only one who encountered this problem, but a ways to bypass that or a fix for it would really be appreciated! I'd love to be able to sync the stuff through Dropbox. (Might need to add a check for Windows/UNIX for the sounds files, but that shoudln't be impossible with Perl)
ke4ukz

Post by ke4ukz »

...Windows ActivePerl has problems with scripts written in the UNIX file format.
Could it be something as simple as Linux and Windows treating end-of-lines differently (CR versus CR/LF)? Linux tends to handle the extra LF from a Windows file more gracefully than Windows handles the lack thereof from a Linux file.
ekalin
Site Admin

Post by ekalin »

I'm kind of surprised that Perl under Windows would have problems with unix line endings.

Under Linux Perl has no problem with scripts with Windows line endings. Only the shebang (#!/usr/bin/perl) does not work properly, but you probably don't need that for KildClient files.